Info & Advice

Who do I need to notify when I get divorced?

Request a Free Consultation with a Solicitor

There is always so much admin to do when you separate or get divorced, and the volume of paperwork can often seem overwhelming. However, it is essential when getting divorced that you notify the relevant organisations of your marital status. Here is our comprehensive list of who should be contacted:

Your bank

If you have a joint account with your ex, you will need to contact the bank or building society to change this. The rules and procedures will depend on whether you and your ex are joint or sole signatories to the account. Any money remaining in the account is still regarded as joint matrimonial property and will be taken into consideration during the financial settlement. The same goes for any debts which exist in relation to the account, such as an overdraft,  regardless of who incurred it.

For personal accounts in your sole name, if either your name or address changes after the divorce is finalised, you should contact the appropriate financial institution to update your details.


A divorce is likely to affect your tax affairs. To avoid paying too much tax, once your divorce begins, you should contact HMRC as soon as possible and notify them of the change.

Your employer

A change in marital status can affect your pension schemes and any other employment related benefits, including health care. An employer will also need to facilitate any changes back to your maiden name or previous surname if you have altered this. Whether or not you decide to revert to the name you used before you married is a personal choice. But if you do, you will need to contact the passport office and DVLA to change your passport and driving licence. You should also take this opportunity to update your address if this has changed.

Passport office

You will need to provide the passport office with the following documentation:

  • Your birth certificate
  • A signed statement detailing that you have reverted to your maiden name or previous surname
  • A document illustrating you are using your new/previous surname (for example, a payslip)
  • Your final divorce order showing both names
  • A marriage or civil partnership certificate showing both names – this can be ordered from the General Register Office


You will need to provide the DVLA with the following documents:

  • A change in personal details form – this can be found on the website
  • Your old driving licence to be replaced

You should also update your car’s registration certificate (log book) with your new name and/or address, too.

Mortgage provider

Arrangements may have been made concerning a mortgage on the former matrimonial home within the final financial order. In this case, you should contact your mortgage provider to ensure these arrangements are implemented. This same will apply for any utilities, such as gas, water, electricity, TV licence, and broadband, which should also be contacted.

Land registry

If your ex owns the property you live in and your name is not registered on the title deeds or as an owner, you should register your home rights. You can find out more information on this issue from the website.


If your ex has moved out and your privately rented home is in their sole name, you should contact your landlord and notify them of the change. You should ask them if they are willing to put your name on the tenancy instead. If the property is rented in joint names, then you can request the tenancy to be transferred into your sole name. The person moving out of the property should ensure their name is removed, otherwise, they can be pursued by the landlord in the event the rent is not paid.

For local authority housing, you should notify them of any changes, and if the property is not in your sole name, ask them to transfer the property. You may need to obtain a court order to do this as part of the financial settlement.

Local council

If you are remaining in the former family home, and your ex is moving out, you should remember to contact your local council, because the council tax you pay is likely to change. Some local authorities offer at least a 25% council tax discount to sole occupants over the age of 18.

Your children’s school

Tell the school if the person who collects your child changes. They will also need updated contact details for both parents in case of an emergency and to send reports, etc.

GP and other health professionals

You may need to change the details of the person who is notified about appointments or contacted in case of emergency, both in respect of yourself and the children.

Insurance provider

You should contact your insurance provider if your name and/or address have changed and let them know if you have moved any items covered under your insurance. This may include cars, or other valuable items you have taken with you to the new address following your divorce.

Utility suppliers

You must update your gas, water, electricity, and broadband suppliers if the designated bill payer is changing, or if the name/address of that individual has changed. This includes your TV licence.

The post office

It is worth contacting the post office to set up a redirection of any post sent to your old address.


If you claim benefits from Jobcentre Plus, you must inform them about your change in circumstances. If you receive Housing Benefit, contact your local authority to notify them of any changes. If you receive Attendance Allowance, Carer’s Allowance or Disability Living Allowance, you should contact the Disability and Carer’s Service which is a department within the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). If you receive Tax Credits or need to apply for them upon your separation, you should visit the relevant government website for more details.

Streaming services

Finally, if you have any streaming services and have moved address, it is sensible to advise each provider about changes to ownership or address.

Related Articles

Load More

Podcast: Listen Now